Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hello from Mumbai

Hello Everyone!

This is Chris, and this is my first official blog from Mumbai, India!

It is weird because I thought that this blogging thing was going to be very simple and easy and that I would blog everyday. I began to think why it took me such a long time to blog, especially because I have so much to blog about going from New Orleans to Paris and then to Mumbai. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there are so many things, so many highs and lows, that I don't think I could put it all in one cohesive post. But I'm breaking this post into two parts:

1.) The Highs

  • Chai tea -- It's amazing and served everywhere. I waited in an office on campus and if I took up every offer for Chai tea, I would have had 12 chais in one day.
  • Monkeys -- There are monkeys on the Tata Campus!! That is so cool! There's just a family of them, and they just wonder around as if they are waiting for their next class to start.
  • Generosity -- Everyone I have met has gone above and beyond their call to help me with a problem. Whether it is me and the others getting lost on the trains, or trying to figure out my internship, everyone has been so nice.
  • How different it is -- India is completely different from anything I have ever experienced. The way people interact, the language, the weather, everything seems completely new and different and in many senses that is completely thrilling.

2.) The Lows
  • Language barrier -- In all honesty I completely thought English would be spoken much more than it actually is. I don't know why I thought that. On campus it is fine, but even right out the doors of the school, there is definitely a lack of English speakers.
  • Running around in circles -- No one in India is in charge of anything it seems. It seems like the person you always really need to talk to is behind some door, in a very Wizard of OZ way. I attempted to speak with my supervisor on many occasions and yesterday was by far the worst. While I usually bother the secretary about making an appointment, the secretary was absent and the woman made me schedule an appointment. It wasn't until I left the office that I realized I scheduled an appointment with the secretary. Not the supervisor. I essentially made an appointment to schedule an appointment. That's terrific.
  • How different it is -- This is of course also a low. There are just many small things that make me long for washers and dryers, and bland foods, and quiet strolls down a street. Because Mumbai is a monster. A crazy, animated, insane monster of crowded streets with cows, goats, sheep, vendors, rickshaws, cabs, buses. Anything you can think of and it is probably on a street in Mumbai. Without a doubt.
But all in all, the highs are far outweighing the lows. My internship situation seems to be coming together, and I am slowly becoming accustomed to life here. The other blogs are great, and I am happy to be part of such a great adventure.

-Chris F.

1 comment:

  1. I think your highs and lows completely sum what what we have experienced in India so far. Some of the lows are beginning to get to me though! Hopefully time will over come them!

    ReplyDelete