Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Goat on the Roof

OK so I needed to get this line of thought out of my head and onto some type of message because it just seems like the most poetic thing I will ever come up with in my life. Which is probably very sad but I thought I would at least attempt it.

OK so here is where I was earlier today (Saturday) at 5 p.m. I am sitting in the library of my agency (pretty much a small room) researching about advocacy and LGBT rights, etc. The desk I am using is right in front of the window that overlooks the Santacruz district of Mumbai. It's a tall building so the majority of what I see are roofs and alleyways and the pedestrians down on the streets. I stop reading and just look out onto this huge view filled with roofs, hung colorful laundry, antennas, etc. And I see this woman step out onto the large roof of this one building, a very posh looking building. She is walking around the entrance way near the glass doors and she is looking at her white sari in the reflection. I start to watch her and then I realize that part of the white floor that covers this roof is moving. I realize that it isn't the flooring, it's a white goat that blended in with the flooring on this roof.

For a second I almost just disregarded this goat on the building, but I could feel the old Chris from one month ago being like: "HOLD UP!!! That goat is on a roof!! This is weird Chris....remember when things could still be weird to you??" And I thought more about this goat that is chained up on this building that is probably 12 stories tall. And I just wonder so many things....how did he get up there?? Who decided the best place for this goat would be the roof? Why did this woman not even look in the direction of this goat? Did he take the elevator??

I ask the librarian why he thinks this goat is on this roof and he looks at it and just says "yes...a goat" "No, I know Rakesh...but why on the roof" "Better air?? He no like pollution....my eyes hurt down there too, better for goat" "I don't think he chose that though, Rakesh" "You can't be sure Mr. Krishna" You're right Rakesh...I can't be.

I let Rakesh get back to work and I realize that this is the perfect representation of Mumbai...of maybe even all of India. It's strange, it's confusing, and if you asked why it is...you will probably just get even more confused.

Just let the goat be there. Just go with it. The goat isn't hurting anyone...no one said roofs and goats can't be friends. Just let it all go Chris....just let it be there. Stop fighting the explanations. The goats there...deal with it. And so I am now thinking in my head every time I don't understand something, it's just the goat on the roof. Just let it be. Make peace with that goat. -- Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment